Generator Studio is a Kansas City architecture and interior design firm specializing in sports venues, lifestyle, workplace, non-profit and residential projects with an emphasis on premium hospitality. Our studio has been recognized as Front Office Sports’ Best Employer in Sports and Kansas City Business Journal’s Champion of Business, among other awards. Whether it’s at the drafting table, the office or a happy hour down the street, we like to think big, have fun and build relationships that shine as brightly as the spaces we create.
We are seeking architectural staff to join our team and assist on a wide range of project types. The ideal candidate has 4-8 years of experience and is committed to excellence while thriving in a collaborative culture. A strong grasp of construction documentation, as well as the ability to work on a variety of tasks including design, modeling, drawing, and client interaction is paramount. Experience coordinating with outside consultants, analysis of zoning and building codes, and detailed drawing development is beneficial.
What’s cool about this job:
- Work on a mix of sports and entertainment facilities, hotels and restaurants, residential, commercial developments, and non-profit office spaces. We work with clients like Live Nation, Pacifica Hotels, the Brooklyn Nets, the Kansas City Current, and the Minnesota Vikings. It’s high profile and high fun.
- Experience hands-on and senior-level opportunities that you wouldn’t get at a larger firm. Work on all stages of a project from start to finish, be a part of new business pitches, and have exposure to clients.
- You’ll be surrounded by teammates who are committed to design excellence in an entrepreneurial culture that celebrates individuality and hard work.
- We place high importance on a positive and socially connected workplace because we know doing so creates a culture of well-being and improves productivity and trust. There’s always something fun happening. Your doggo can come to work, too, if (s)he’s nice.
- Our office is located in the KC Crossroads, surrounded by galleries, shops, restaurants and cultural happenings. Artists and creatives live and work here. We’re also on the streetcar line, making the commute to work free and accessible.
- Your entire health insurance premium is paid for by Generator. 401K retirement plan with employer match is offered.
What a day in the life might look like:
- Working closely with a Project Manager and others to coordinate the design process including the interface with the owner, consultants, and contractors.
- Ensuring that project reviews occur at the designated stages of your current projects
- Have a real impact on a project, schematic through construction
- Anticipating and identifying problems, resolving technical issues that arise during the construction process
- Championing good design and advocating to maintain a healthy design culture
- Producing and guiding construction documentation that adheres to and advances the design intent and goals of the project
- Sometimes working independently, other times highly collaboratively with team members
- Delegating tasks to junior staff or other team members
This job is for you if you (are/have):
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in architecture from a NAAB accredited institution
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- 4 or more years of experience in architectural roles, completed or near completion of licensure requirements
- Experience working on mid to large scale commercial projects
- Confident and effective interpersonal and time management skills
- Proficient in Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, Bluebeam, and Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Lumion is beneficial but not required
- Ability to work on multiple projects and effectively balance workload
- A commitment to design excellence
- Thrive in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Ability to work independently on architectural projects
- Filling this role will not be determined by experience only, we are looking for the right fit for our team.
- A strong grasp of construction documentation and the ability to guide advancement
The employee performing this job must regularly be able to use a telephone, computer keyboard, and mouse, reach with hands and arms, talk, and listen. The employee frequently is required to move about an office environment and sit (often for extended periods), as well as lift and carry objects such as books and files weighing up to 15 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to stand, stoop, or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. This job relies on teamwork and collaboration as a critical component for succeeding, so the ability to communicate effectively with others is required. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Although the job may be performed remotely on occasion (with the pre-approval of the employee’s supervisor), the work done by the person holding this position is expected to be performed regularly at the company’s office as part of the teamwork and collaboration required by this position. Travel and over-nights stays may be intermittent along with attendance to events after hours.
Essential Job Functions:
All the responsibilities, duties, and requirements contained in this job description constitute the essential functions of this job which the successful candidate must be able to perform with or without requested reasonable accommodations.
Generator Studio pays 100% of your health insurance premium.
401K retirement plan with employer match is offered.
Relocation assistance is available from within the U.S.
Years of experience: minimum 4 years
Please send your resume and portfolio to email@example.com to apply.